Hotel Roanoke Brass Ornament The Hotel Roanoke was built in 1882 by the Norfolk & Western Railroad and opened with 38 rooms on Christmas Day. After a fire in 1898, the hotel reopened 6 months later and has under gone many renovations, most significantly in 1938 giving the hotel a "Tudor" look. The hotel then closed again in 1989 with ownership transferring to Virginia Tech. A fund raising campaign in 1992 lend to the restoration and remodeling of the hotel with the addition of the conference center. The Hotel Roanoke is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This brass ornament measures 1 1/2" by 1 1/2".